Mixed Poetry ~ Views on Love and Life

Lilac Whispers and Jellyfish Kisses

They tingle on the lips, but blister and bleed later:

Bio-luminescent and sweet, with hints of vanilla bean;

A pastel killer.

Mint dresses with black lipstick:

A psychological horror disguised as a teenage girl;

Lilac whispers and jellyfish kisses

Pretty in pink with a bloodthirsty soul,

An indescribable galactic warrior

With a heart tinted black around the edges;

Sensitive deep down, but never willing to show it;

An actress until death do we part.

Lilac whispers and jellyfish kisses.

Three Sentence Life Story

Confusion swells like storm clouds.

Mortality is questioned.

But I am at ease.

On Love

Love is not a victory march

It is a seat upon death row

The prayer of survival that leaves you breathless

Bloody and beaten six feet under

Humiliation and rejection beheads you

Holding you up like Macbeth

With your love dripping down onto their skin

For all you need is love

Love is cold

Love is lonely

To love or not to love

What does it matter?

Love dies, as do we

Will you still love me when I cry?

Or when I hurt you?

Will you still love me when I gut you?

No…

For you never loved me at all

Succumbing to love like you would the plague

Black spots forming over every inch of skin

Black bruises forming over every inch of skin

A symbol of desire is death

An infection

Spreading

Spreading…

Until you can no longer see who I was

Only what I am now

If I hate love so much

Why do I fall so easily?

Pessimistic

A glass half empty

or a glass half full

What does it matter?

We’re all going to die

Just drink the water and be done with it

But live life while you can

I guess

Or not . . .

Doesn’t really matter to me

Everyone is so focused on enjoying life all the time

But in hating life at times

Don’t we find we enjoy it more?

I take the time to be unhappy

So happiness makes me feel better when it does happen

If you want to praise the half full glass that’s fine

If you want to praise the half empty one, that’s fine too

Do whatever you want

You’re decisions about happiness have no impact on me whatsoever.

Image From: http://maxpixel.freegreatpicture.com/Sea-Jellyfish-Underwater-Ocean-Nature-Water-2142274

Second piece inspired by Leonard Cohen’s ‘Hallelujah’

5 thoughts on “Mixed Poetry ~ Views on Love and Life

1. Dearest Emily,

I absolutely adore these pieces! Your first one especially hit me because it was so lyrical and thought provoking. The line, “They tingle on the lips but blister and bleed later” gave me absolute shivers! I love hearing you voice through poetry and I love your style. When you alluded to Shakespeare in the second poem , my heart sung because as an AP English baby, anything regarding old literature excites me, haha.

To improve, I would love to see more of a connection between all the poems. This will unify your piece a bit more since it is a compilation of different poems.

Since I know you personally, I knew that you were an brilliant writer and reading this has definitely confirmed it.

Love you lots,

Liza

2. Dear Emily,

This piece of mixed poetry is something I really enjoyed reading. Being a poetry buff myself, I feel like people can express themselves a lot more through poems than in paragraphs. I loved your poem ‘On Love’ the most. It was my favorite and it really touched my heart. That is how powerful relatable it was. I also loved the use of metaphors and other strong words in your poems. It enhances and gives them a whole new dimension. After reading this blog, I realized that the kind of poetry I write is a lot more straight-forward, and that can get a little boring at times. So that is something I’m eager to work on, and I would love to know how you come up with such brilliant metaphors.

To improve, I don’t really think I’m yet that capable to tell you what you need to improve. You’re a phenomenal writer. I actually couldn’t find any flaws within your writing. But, maybe you could provide a little insight about your poems because I felt like they could be interpreted in a lot of different ways. But as a reader I only wanted to know what your vision was when you created them. So that was something I was kind of struggling with. Other then that you’re a great writer, and I can’t wait to read other stuff written by you in the future.

Sincerely,
    Nimrit

3. Emily,

How I’ve missed reading your blog! BRILLIANT WORK. I absolutely love how you play with paradox in this piece, specifically in the first poem. This being acknowledged the juxtapositions present within your piece are original, opposed to the typical, cliche oxymoron most people seem to gravitate towards. Who else would be so creative as to come up with phrases such as “pastel killer” and “lilac whispers and jelly fish kisses”? I am in absolute awe of the unique way with which you articulate your thoughts.

I also very much enjoyed “On Love” especially because I am a sucker for Leonard Cohen’s writing. I was quite excited when I saw that you had written a poem based on “Hallelujah”. That being said, I just have a quick reminder to offer to you–make sure you give credit where credit is due. Even something as simple as “Inspired by Leonard Cohen’s ‘Hallelujah’” would suffice. Also, the title for the first poem is not bolded like the titles for the other poems are. I would recommend bolding it, so as to maintain consistency.

Of course, those are really nitpicky things. But that is because I am honestly struggling to pinpoint anything else you could work on. I am thoroughly impressed by your talent, Emily! You are a beautiful poet!

Never stop writing,
    Jade

4. Thank you all for the kind words and suggestions to make my writing better in the future. I really appreciate the feedback.

-Emily 🙂

5. Dear Emily,

I really enjoyed reading these poems you have posted for February free choice. I encourage you to continue to post more of your poems for all of us to read and enjoy. I am sure many people, including myself can take great inspiration from your pieces. All of them were so good in their own way. However, my favourite was “Pessimistic” It felt it was very honest and straight forward, which I liked. I also liked how your personality was shown through the poem. The strong sense of your voice in these pieces gave them another element of great writing, which made them even more enjoyable.

Your work was wonderful, I do not have any major critiques. If I could make one suggestion, I would encourage you to give explanation or back story for each poem. This would allow the reader to understand the connection between you and the poem much more. It would result in the poems themselves being a better read as the reader would have a far better understanding. I am excited to visit your blog in the future and read more of your work. I look forward to gaining knowledge and inspiration from your posts.

Sincerely,
      Abdullah