A-Z Writing

A is for Airport

What to do there: Pick a painting to work with. Go for something figurative. Tell its story in detail as if you’re describing a scene. Stay within the frame. Focus on describing what you see before moving into “story”. When you’ve written for at least 20 minutes, allow yourself only one reference to what’s going on beyond the frame. Come back to describing what’s in the frame.

In the new section of the Calgary airport, sitting in soft chairs with complimentary charging outlets for all of your technological needs. A hot pink carry on suitcase (borrowed from my aunt) on my left, both parents on my right. My father with a sprained ankle but by God he is not letting that ruin our trip to Disneyland for my belated seventeenth birthday. A Starbucks Matcha Tea Latte in my hand, having already spilt it and staining the white flowers on my black, cropped sweatpants slightly green, I was apprehensive of their cups. Everything around me so clean and bright, making the whole 2 hour wait bearable. I take another sip of my drink, sweet hints of vanilla giving in to strong bitterness. The taste makes up for the smell, since it smells of grass and frothy milk. Looks like it too. Bright, natural light fills the airport through the large windows, so much nicer and friendlier than other airports I have been to. Walls of glass, faces of all shapes and colours staring at devices and books, waiting for metal birds to take them away to somewhere else. Somewhere warmer or colder or just back home.

P is for Pier

What to do there: Watch people. Write about couples, groups and people sitting on their own. Write about each person until you find someone you want to keep writing about. Push yourself to write until you feel you’ve said everything you want to say. Write because you really want to know what you have to say about this person or couple. Write until you discover something that surprises you.

The strength of the ocean, the smell, the feel of salt water on your skin. the breeze blowing on your skin, you hear people conversing and loud music playing over the sounds of the waves. A seal is spotted, breaching the water, its wet brown skin shines under the bright sun as people fish for shrimp. Large mounds of barnacles stick to the long posts holding everything up. A few rides stand along the pier, brightly coloured and rather old, triggering speculation of their safety, filled with tourists from all over. The breeze dies down and it is replaced with dead, hot air onto the back of your neck and shoulders. Street vendors sell their wares, from trinkets to art painted right on the pier. The official end to Route 66, to the end of the journey. The needy need help but no one stops. Veterans out of the street, yet no one can help.

R is for River (Using the prompt for Q)

Write about movement. Sit and watch the world go by. Notice the differences between land and water and sky. If you don’t have a quay, a jetty will do, or a harbour, or a river bank. Tell the story of a character who transforms when they move from one element to the other and how this transformation impacts on their life, their relationships, and their daily routines. This could be your own story.

Ripples in the water, children play. Geese fly overhead. The first day of sun, of warmth. After a long and bitter winter, spring has finally sprung. We’ve said this many times and I hope this will be the last time we have to repeat ourselves. At least for this year, I hope is is warm soon. I don’t like the warmth too much, but it feels nice to have sun on my face and neck again. Soft waves, plops of rocks hitting water and more rocks. Natural light. A long day ended with a little relaxation, leading to an even longer night.

References

pastel purple wallpaper tumblr. (n.d.). [image] Available at: https://www.pinterest.ca/pin/512003051370944226/ [Accessed 1 May 2018].

One thought on “A-Z Writing

1. My dearest Emily,
    I loved these a lot! They really showed your personality and voice. The ending sentences left the reader with a little thing to think about. I loved the last piece and the short sentences in the beginning to show the type of mood with the rest of the piece.
    The only thing I would say to work on is also adding the descriptions for the prompts.
    Love,
    Paxton